Thank you, Gayle, for bringing this to our attention. It is important to note, though, that "opposing federal funding for museums" and "opposing museums" are not necessarily synonymous.

Charlotte Reineck
Alexandria, Virginia

----- Original Message ----
From: Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:00:36 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Something to Consider

The debate is on.  Most of politics belongs off the list EXCEPT as it affects the well being of the museums.  One of the candidates, in one of the first responses made, called out the other because they had voted for a $3 million appropriation for an overhead projector at a planetarium and indicated that (paraphrasing) it was absurd to spend this kind of money for this kind of thing.  This is the second museum of which I am aware this same candidate has opposed funding (the other is in Bethel NY) because his position appears to be that funding museums at the government level is pork.

The overhead projector was for the Adler Planetarium.  The museum in Bethel was for Woodstock.

There are many, many issues we face in today's incredibly tough economic times, and the new president will be faced with many challenges.  We talked earlier about the need to know where the candidates stand on museums.  I surface these points tonight because there is new, compelling (from my perspective) evidence as to who is and who is not a supporter of the museum community.

I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions and vote your conscience.=========================================================