Dear Listserve,

Please help!

I am a young museum professional working at a very small institution with limited resources.  Our facility is small and I am in desperate need of space!

We are currently in possession of a great number of international artifacts/items/memorabilia….we are not and international institution and have no need or desire to keep these items.  However before I go and offer them to another institution I am concerned with the legality of getting rid of these items?

They have never been formally acquisitioned they haven't even been documented. Most of the items were dropped of by visitors and the staff at the time unknowingly accepted the donations.  I have almost no idea when or from where most of these items came to the museum.  (I have since put a stop to all foreign donations).

Has anyone else encountered a situation like this?  Can I get rid of them, if so what are the legal issues surrounding the situation (New York State)?   I desperately need the space and can not afford to continue to house items that are not relevant to our Museum's mission.

I want to thank you all in advance for you advice and assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,
Young museum professional