Greetings colleagues!

I just returned from the Florida Association of Museums, where I presented a workshop on Accessibility -- review of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title III (Public Accommodations), an abbreviated physical facility audit (e.g., depths, widths, heights of counters, tables, signs, toilets, grab bars in toilet stalls),

I am an occupational therapist turned museum professional turned consultant, who has worked with hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities -- learning disabilities, developmental disabilities, amputations, spinal cord injuries, trauma, stroke, Parkinson's  Disease, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, paranoia, Alzheimer's Disease, etc.  I have headed up education at Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, where I assisted in the formalization of a Universal Access initiative, for which the zoo won the 2001 AAM Accessibility Award.  I have also been Vice President of Education at the Museum of Science & Industry in Tampa.  I am currently consulting and doing independent contract work in the areas of  program evaluation, exhibit evaluation, visitor studies, education and training programs and compliance with the ADA.

I am more than happy to talk with anyone about their specific needs regarding accessibility or disability awareness.

In the meantime, here are some resources to get you started!

Majewski, Janice (1987).  Part of Your General Public is Disabled:  A Handbook for Guides in Museums, Zoos, and Historic Houses. Washington, DC:  Smithsonian Institution. (available through AAM) -- also has a videotape.  An excellent resource that presents eight types of disabilities, signs and symptoms of each disability and suggests ways in which museum staff and volunteers can best plan for and deliver inclusive programming and visitor services.

The Americans with Disabilities Act Checklist for Readily Achievable Barrier Removal, download from www.adaptenv.org/publications/checklist-pdf.pdf.  Copies of this checklist are also available from your Disability and Business Technical Assistance Center.  To be automatically connected to your regional center, call 1-800-949-4232.

ADA Communication Accommodations Project (ADA-CAP)

American Foundation for the Blind

Governmental Relations Dept

1615 M Street NW, Suite 250

Washington D.C. 20036

Hotline of vision issues:  (202) 223-0101 voice/TDD

Hotline on hearing issues: (202) 651-5343 voice/TDD

Association of Late-Deafened Adults

P.O. Box 641763

Chicago, IL 60664

(312) 604-4192 TDD

National Braille Press

88 St. Stephen Street

Boston, MA  02215

(617) 266-6160 Voice

National Federation of the Blind

Information Access Project

1800 Johnson Street

Baltimore, MD  21230

(301) 659-9314 voice

AT & Ts National Special Needs Center

2001 Route 46, Suite 310

Parsippany, NJ  07054-1315

(800) 233-1222 voice

(800) 83303232 TDD

Self Help for Hard of Hearing People

7800 Wisconsin Avenue

Bethesda, MD  20814

(301) 657-2248 voice

(301) 657-2249 TDD

Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board

1331 F Street NW, Suite 1000

Washington, D.C. 20004-1111

(202) 653-7834 voice

(202) 272-5449 TDD

Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.

8719 Colesville Road, Suite 310

Silver Spring, MD 20910-3919

(301) 608-0050 voice/TDD

Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D., L.O.T (Licensed Occupational Therapist)
Principal
TNI Consultants LLC

A Woman Business Enterprise
Member, Tampa Chamber of Commerce