I have been a long-time lurker on museum-l, but feel the need to speak up on the point of how museum professionals relate to politics/politicians/elections. Being in Canada makes it a little different, but ultimately the messages is the same: we need to be our own best advocates.

Canada finds itself moments away from the announcement of a Federal election (oh how I wished they were set dates, like in the US!). There has also been a *brutal* list of cuts recently announced by the party in power -- it is quite the opportunity to boot out  this group. However, we need to ask - nay, demand - that the others running for office tell us what they can do for the arts, culture and heritage in our country. And we can't just tell them 'we need this much money because it is good for our country' -- we have to say why they should support us. These points have to be so direct that the current party will  hang their head in shame when they have to tell us to our face why they see the need to cut support to these programs. (They cut them as if no one would care - and even insulted the whole profession while doing it! It is time to be outraged!)

So what I plan to do is this: as a *private individual voter* I will write both my local representatives and the national head of each party, asking their stance on supporting museums, galleries and heritage properties in our country. I will spell out the educational, community and legacy aspects of why we matter. And I will say I need them I need them to be sure to support us, not just monetarily (could be an old-fashioned model...), but philosophically as well, for that is so important when they set new policy. And museums so need to be at that policy-setting table.

This is powerful time for the electorate here -- we are not un-empowered, for each individual voter  is making or breaking the candidates' futures through their support. It is pretty wonderful that both Americans and Canadians get this voting privilege this fall - I hope to make the most of the opportunity by standing up and saying what is important to me, for now is the time to tell the people running for office that museums matter.

Off my soapbox.
Caroline Posynick
Victoria, British Columbia