Mold removal off of objects or within a structure are best left to
professionals who are trained and equipped to handle it. Your friend could
not only put herself at risk but if the public can get close to these
objects then you never know if someone who is especially sensitive will
suffer from exposure. You have to treat a mold outbreak as if it is
radioactive. Everything around those objects can have very elevated levels
of spores and whatever you touch or wear is contaminated. The best solution
is to find other non-moldy objects for their exhibit.
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator
Los Angeles, CA