Try this website:

http://www.925-1000.com/enyc_Overview.html

It is an online encyclopedia of silver marks, hallmarks, and maker's marks.

Good luck!

Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441-1108
www.LRMA.org

John Hart wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hello List,
I am utterly confused. I've look high and low for an idea of what the hallmarks are that I am looking at and am finding nothing. On the back of several spoons there is a dragon/serpant emerging from a crown. On a few of those there is stamped "L.Wineburgh" with another mark of a sitting lion with a ball underfoot with a "W" in the ball. On a few others, "USA Sterling" is stamped. with no other markings besides the dragon and crown.

If anyone has any thoughts, or knows any good sources to check, please let me know.

Regards,
John Hart

John Hart
Assistant Curator of Collections

The New York State Historical Association and
The Farmers' Museum

PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326

607.547.1447