Oh, we had folding stools available there.

Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441-1108
www.LRMA.org

Gayle wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
"The tour was approximately 45-60 minutes, with no scheduled sitting.  Those in need could bring stools or rest in a few designated spots."

Ok, here's where I chime in.  Those in need could bring stools?  How?  Airlines are charging up to $50 a bag (each leg of a journey) for the second bag.  I'm not sure what they would charge for lugging a stool.  And, when your knees are young and really rugged, standing for 45-minutes to an hour is no big deal.  When your knees have been around the block a few more times and just don't act like they used to, a bench or stool is an important tool to have. If you cannot accommodate a disability and insist they bring their own, folks are less likely to visit your institution and may never get a chance to see your good works.

I'm at the point now where I ask, before going on tours, how rigorous it might be.  I never want to hold somebody else up.  But I also don't want to miss out on the opportunity to see something if it can be done, as long as there's a spot here and there I can rest my weary bones.

There are a lot of me's like this now, especially with an aging Boomer population, retiring and potentially able to visit your institution.  It's just something to factor into your conversation, your plans, and maybe the attitude of your institution.

Thanks.