Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:31:52 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Giving Up Collections
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello all. I am posting this for a colleague of mine:

Hello All!

I work for a young, small very museum with close ties to industry and which is
trying to build close ties with a university. We have a small collections,
mostly in the way of archival material but it is beginning to grow.

It has been suggested by some of my board that it would be in the best interest
for the museum to give up our collections to the care of the university's
special collections archives. While I am unsure that this is the best approach
to take, I am bound to research the matter for them. Does anyone know of any
institutions with arrangements like this? Is it advisable for a small history
museum to not keep any collections? Is there anyway I might convince my board
to rethink this policy?

Please reply to the list, I am a member, but prefer to post this anonymously.

Thanks.

--
Jessamyn

http://www.windowslive.com/family_safety/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_family_safety_072008