Dear Peter,

I have done some research on museums' use of technology as part of my MA
in museum professions.  I became interested in how curators are being
forced to adapt to an art world where collections are becoming more easily
accessible through the internet and their duties are extending outside the
walls of physical museums and into cyberspace.  In general, almost all
larger museums have very interactive websites where visitors can search
through the collections and even create small "virtual galleries" or
collections of their favorite artworks that can share with other visitors
to the website.  Some of these virtual galleries can even be published to
the internet and become accessible to any everyday web surfer.  I
personally have a collection of my favorite works at the Metropolitan
Museum that ranges from Greek Pottery to Damien Hirst.

There is also the emergence of "podcasting" that is slowing taking the
place of audioguides in some museums because they can be downloaded for
free at home and listened to from an ipod or other mp3 player.  Many art
history students have taken to creating their own podcasts as a kind of
"uncensored" audioguide for use by their peers.  The ground breaking
examples of these types of podcasts were the "ArtMobs" of 2005, which were
created as a class requirement for a course at Marymount Manhattan
College.

There are also many web entities that have no museum affiliation but are
still valuable resources for the online art community.  My favorite of
these is Collect Britain (which is run by the British Libraries); they
present many virtual exhibitions of their collections since they do not
really have exhibition space at any library locations.  There is also a
great database of their intangible cultural collection such as recordings
of Native American and African indigenous rituals and speech studies on
different dialects throughout the UK.

I hope I have provided you with some useful information.  If you would be
interested reading a paper I have prepared on the topic of the evolving
role of curators in response to emerging sociable technologies in museums
you can contact me outside of the listserv.

Cheers!

Laura Browarny
Institute of Museum Ethics

Peter Gale <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
07/24/2008 08:50 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[MUSEUM-L] Visitor Engagements via the Internet and othe Technologies

I have searched Museum-L archives and appreciate that, over the years,
there are many different ways that the Internet and related technologies
have been used by museums. I am particularly interested in its use as a
means of communication and engagement for visitors/users of the museum.
The archival information is somewhat scattered, often much broader in its
applications, and now, perhaps, somewhat out of date.

So, my question. Right now, what are some of the ways that the Internet
and related communication methods are being used to successfully engage
people of different ages, in different ways, to provide them with special
experiences, functions, information, etc., both while they might be in the
museum, or away from it?

I would appreciate hearing about experiments as well as established
programs that have been attempted, or are now established, to expand the
knowledges/experiences etc., of people who are interacting with a museum,
for whatever reason - from special music provided by the museum as an iPod
download to accompany visits in collection galleries to multi-faceted
blogs maintained by the museum. Whatever seems to be working, or not.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read