Hello Sonya-

I have participated in a number of museum auctions, and they can be very rewarding. However, they can also cost so much in staff time that there is really little benefit. A great deal depends on the size of your staff and the commitment of you board members. You need to begin planning at least a year in advance.

Are you holding the event at your museum (highly recommended) or at another location? If it is at your museum will you need to rent a tent or tents?

If this is a catered event, your caterer will likely be able to help you with liquor also. Is the dinner sit down or buffet? Is there an open bar or a cash bar?  Will you give out 1 or 2 drink tickets with each admission? Where will the caterers set up?

How much you charge depends on how much your overhead for the event is and also how much admission is usually charged for this kind of event in your area.

Will you need a sound system for the live auction and or for entertainment?  How will you display both live and silent auction items?

Who is on your guest list?  Can they pay for their admission through Paypal on your website?  Is there a special rate if you buy a whole table (usually 10 tops)?

Who is responsible for identifying potential donors and getting the donated items? Staff and/or Board?

There should be at least 2 committees...one for the event itself and one for the auction items.  Who will set the items up at the auction?

Will you be using Modern Postcard (or another print shop that can also mail the invitations?  Will you send a Save the Date card?  How far in advance should you send the cards?

Who will handle the event set-up, parking, lighting, etc?

Who designs and prints the program?

I am sure I am forgetting myriad other details, but these are some of the questions you will need to answer.

Make sure you do not take so much of your staff time to work on the auction that they are unable to do their regular duties.

Good luck!

Morris Witten
Executive Director
Taos Historic Museums

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.
~Lew Wallace (Territorial governor of New Mexico 1878 - 1881)