Martha -

No engraving tools!

What if the numbers are changed at some point - or in 50 years these furnishings are seen as "historic"?

See if the county would go for a bar code system for inventory - there are many folks on this list that have more knowledge than I on what are the best ones for collections.

I would find either a wood or metal component of the mule harness to mark with a small label in an inconspicuous place.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator