On boingboing.net, I saw that Douglad Adams typewriter is for sale. This is an autographed typewriter that he wrote "The Hitchhikiers Guide to Galaxy " on. I(It can be yours for a cool $25,000!) As interesting as that is, a throw away line in the article caught my eye. "An archivist friend of mine tells me that libraries that once collected authors' papers are now storing their hard-drives." I had not heard this. I used to oversee an archival collection, and we had not moved in that direction. I can foreesee many problems with it (equipment compatibility, data integrity, space, etc.) It did cause me to wonder how museums and archives are handling this, since so few type anymore. I have seen nice exhibits of an author's desk with a typewriter, papers, and assorted items on display, but has the change in technology changed what we desire? Are museums looking to get the author's macbook and favorite coffee cup for a future exhibit? So many questions from a
 throwaway line! I would love to hear comments on the issue if you have the time. Oh, here is the link to the article

  http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/07/16/buy-the-typewriter-o.html