I would definitely suggest NOT sealing them airtight in a baggie. The paper is a very low quality and will create a hideous microenvironment. If any are to be used, you can trace them onto sturdier, safer sheer paper without harming the originals (paper on top of original, then trace).

I would think that reducing the number of folds or eliminating them (depending on space) and storing in flat files (folders with or without a board) like any standard map or large paper  would be the safest storage, you can scan or photgraph the package and have an image on the outside of the folder for easy reference to the finished clothing the pattern represents.

-----Original Message-----
From: Janis Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jul 8, 2008 2:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sewing Patterns

Hi, all. I am wondering whether any of you collects vintage paper sewing patterns, and if so, what you do to store them.

The best advice I’ve found so far is to remove the contents from the envelope to relieve stress on the folds, and store everything together in a plastic bag stiffened with cardboard. This person also checked the pieces to see if they’re all there, then ironed and re-folded them. I don’t like the idea of ironing, but otherwise it all sounds okay–-assuming the use of archival materials. Would it be better to store them in such a way as to be able to see both sides of the envelope without having to remove it from its wrapper?

If anybody has any comments, refinements, or alternative suggestions, I’d really like to see them! Thanks loads.

Janis Wilkens

Registrar

Levine Museum of the New South

200 E. Seventh St.

Charlotte NC 28202-2508

704.333.1887 x 257  |   fax 704.333.1896

www.museumofthenewsouth.org/

Office hours: Tues., Wed. 10:00-4:00; Thur. 1:00-7:00; Fri. 11:00-4:00

Comic Stripped: A Revealing Look at Southern Stereotypes in Cartoons, 31 Aug 2007--25 May 2008