A friend sent me this note.  Doesn't sound good:
14 people laid off at the Bishop Museum due to economic conditions.  Hear more on KINE, www.hawaiian105.com   or possibly can see on KHON.
Also, I write a newspaper having to do with volunteerism and philanthropy at my company (goes out to around 500 people, I think).  Here's what I included in yesterday's edition in the section entitled "Can You Help?"  I had kept them abreast of the flooded museums in the Midwest in last week's edition.
Help the Flooded Museums of the Midwest—Click herefor more info if the stories of last week touched you, and you’d like to help.
Preserve the State Parks—California’s budget is in dire straits, and some of the State Parks have been targeted for potential cuts. If you would like to help preserve our state treasures, click on this linkto learn what can do to assist.
Save the California Museums—Inasmuch as these are tight budget times, tourism is projected to be down. Among those hit hardest during economic times such as these are the arts and cultural organizations.  We are blessed to live in an area rich with cultural institutions, but they could be in jeopardy.  If you would like assist, please click on this linkfor a list of organizations in our area.  Your contribution could be eligible for Matching Gift.