Speaking from recent experience with a minor mouse issue in my basement
at home, I am not a fan of the Decon poison pellets and similar
producnts.  I set out some of this stuff in my basement, and what I
found was just more droppings, but this time the droppings were the
exact green same color as the poison! Which means the mice were
digesting the stuff, living to tell the tale, then coming back for more.
So much for that.  A few years ago we used the poison with more success
but did indeed find mouse carcasses in very conspicuous places in our
basement.

Now, maybe it depends on the brand you buy, but I now stick to the old
fashioned snap traps and have had much better luck.  Plus, it's a very
quick death for the little critters, which consoles me some.

In a museum setting, historic house or otherwise, I would not want to
take a chance that a poisoned mouse might expire in an inconvenient
public space.  At least when you set traps you know to always check the
same place for the dead ones; it's more predictable where you'll find
the bodies.

Just my 2c, and hope I didn't gross anyone out!

Cristin J. Waterbury

Registrar/Collections Manager

Wisconsin Maritime Museum