Dear Sarah
(with apologies to the list--I can't respond directly)

I have done a bit of freelance writing myself and have found that in the museum world it can be hard to come by.

I think there are a few reasons for that.

First, of course, museum budgets are limited and the funds to hire outside writers for projects often simply don't exist, unless written into a grant or funding proposal.  Often staff just have to make do with in house talent.

Second, many of the major publications in our field (if not all of them) are scholarly journals which do not pay their authors with anything more than a nice citation to add to their resume.

That isn't to say that freelance writing isn't a possibility.  You might consider contacting some of the major local history publishers such as Arcadia or Donning.  They are typically looking for authors who can research (and finance) their own manuscripts, in exchange for royalties upon publication.  You could also look into various freelance newspaper articles and editing positions as have already been mentioned.  And there are a variety of freelance websites available that can point you to non-museum freelance opportunities.

Frankly, I've had the best success through personal networking.  Make sure the word is out among your colleagues that you are available and willing to take on separate freelance projects on the side.  I got one wonderful job writing the text for a guidebook at the Wickham House here in Richmond simply because the staff there had outside funding and knew that I could produce a quality product for them and that I was interested in the work (they had seen a similar book I developed for us in-house).

I would recommend that you think outside the box, too.  My writing resume (in house for APVA, as a consultant, and as sole proprietor of my own business) has included all kinds of specialized museum writing including not only exhibit and guidebook text, but also shorter things like brochure blurbs, website text, interpretive text for museum store products, etc.   These are potentially smaller jobs, but they would make less dent in an institutional budgets than a longer manuscript if you can prove that you're worth hiring!

Best of luck,
Catherine Dean

Catherine E. Dean
Curator of Collections