There are a couple of issues here.

One (which obviously isn¹t so in this case) is that some institutions have
started turning photo-reproduction into a profit centre ­ and are putting
ther fees way up - something I heartily disagree with...

Now I¹ve got that out of my system:

The other issue is actually ³losing money² as it were , on photo
reproductions (more on this at the end) so you end up subsidising every
photo order.

First, I don¹t think it¹s generally a good idea to give photos/digital files
away for free because:

a. People generally don¹t value what they get for free

and

b. If the images are free, my experience is that people generally order at
least five times more than they actually need because ­ hey, it¹s free ­ so
why not order those other 10 prints just in case.

With reproductions from photo collections, my stance has always been to at
least price things so you come close to doing it on a cost recovery basis.

Now, some people will include something in this (usually fairly rough)
calculation to cover the costs of their  digitization programme ­ again, my
take is that digitization these days should probably be a core task of any
photo archive/collection ­ and it is not only or even done for providing
reproductions ­ there are lots of other reasons it should be done.
Reproductions is almost a secondary spin off aspect of digitization. So if
you are going to include that in any calculation of cost, it seems to me
that it should just be a percentage of digitization costs that would apply.

After that, make a guestimate of what it costs to produce the image (print
or digital file):

Time pulling up the image, perhaps some adjustment or sizing, putting on a
disk and doing the paperwork.

CD costs (minimal these days ­ and often they are sent by email)

Print costs ­ if it is a print.

Anything else you think should be included

Round it up or down and that is your basic reproduction fee

 - These days it seems to be fair at around $15.00 - $20.00 for a decent
sized 300dpi digital file or an 8x10 print.

After that ³Basic/Standard Repro service² You can go with as many add-on¹s
as you feel comfortable coping with. E.G.:

Larger physical prints for a few extra dollars

Smaller/lower-res prints/files for research for less dollars (good for the
schools): say a 5x7 print or a 150dpi jpeg file - or, presuming you often
have a good set of 8x10 prints of most of your collections, a good quality
³photograph-settings² photocopy for your normal photocopy price ­ again,
good for research.

Finally, a set of usage fees which is added on top of the basic reproduction
fee:

$0 (just the repro-fee) for non-profit/educational/personal etc use

$XX for small scale commercial use/publication ­ local paper, going on the
wall of a local café, small scale book or small/regional magazine publishing
etc

Finally,

$XXX ­ TV use, Newsweek, Nike (they love your historic photo of Farmer Giles
in his hobnail boots and want it for an international ad campaign) etc etc

Working variations on any of the above should give you  plenty of wriggle
room on how you want to set things up

Tim a

Tim Atherton
Assistant Curator
Musée Héritage Museum, St. Albert

(all opinions my own nd not nec essarily those of my nstituion...