From: Janzen, Mark <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 4:59 pm
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] What is treasure hunting? What is archaeology?

For my rambling two cents, yes indeed there is a difference, but the line can be blurry. Especially in the movies.

Treasure hunting/looting/plundering should be defined generally as the removal of materials from any historical site for the purposes of personal gain without regard to other historical evidence at the site, proper archaeological excavation methods, and all of the various laws of the land.

Archaeology should then be defined roughly as the removal of materials from any historical site for the purposes of education and the accumulation of historical data with full regard for all levels of historical evidence, proper archaeological methodology, and taking into account all applicable laws.

No doubt there are more well elucidated definitions, but that is the gist.

However, there are some(and a growing number) of “treasure hunters” who follow all of the rules of archaeology, excavation, and legality who nonetheless are doing it for profit. They add materially to historical knowledge and artifact accumulations. They just sell the stuff that is really valuable(gold and silver). Are they to be vilified for their self interest despite their efforts to do good as well. By archaeologists and historians perhaps, but the rest of the world does not think the same.

As to Dr. Jones…The movie character, although he does an enormous amount of damage to some fictional sites in the process of his hunting, could be considered a rescue archaeologist. All of his exploits focus on saving items from the depredations of real looters or other evil regimes, and his intent is to place them in museums, although that does not normally work out. Are his methodologies lawless, destructive, and a-historical? Yes. He is however trying to do good, with no real interest in “fortune and glory”.

On the other hand, there are well trained, professional, and highly educated archaeologists who end up doing more damage than good by following all the rules. But they at least get to publish those results.

Which one are we going to be able to use most effectively to engage our visitors? The proper professional archaeologist, the looter, or the somewhere in-between? I guess that is dependent upon what we are trying to say.

Great topic for discussion. Thanks.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850