From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Heidi Campbell-Shoaf
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] "do not touch" labels

I just opened a new exhibit in which there are several pieces of
furniture on display as well as glass, ceramics, artwork, etc. All of
the small, fragile items are under vitrines but the furniture pieces are
simply on risers. When reviewing the exhibit with our docents, they
expressed concern that I did not have "do not touch" signs on the
furniture.  I've used these signs in the past but I am wondering about
their effectiveness. I've observed both at my museum and at others, that
some people will touch regardless of signage.  I've also noticed that
most larger museums I've visited do not have these signs at all.  Our
museum experience is guided tour only and the docents are trained to
remind visitors not to touch items on exhibit. The new exhibition can be
self-guided but the vast majority of the time there will be a docent in
the room with the visitor.

I'd like to hear about other's experience with "do not touch" signs and
whether they work or just clutter up an exhibit and have little
effectiveness.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator

Museum of Frederick County History

Historical Society of Frederick County