Has any other museum tried a monthly photo contest, and can tell me what issues I can expect? We’re going to try it this fall (Sept-Dec). Sorry that the following is a long post, but based on previous discussion threads I want to try and address as many of the usual “sticking points” I can recall. The main issue that we see here is rights to use images.

We want to set monthly themes, and accept fitting images emailed to us during a set time frame. Photos must have been taken at the museum. One winning picture, along with the photographer’s name and city, will appear on the museum’s front webpage the following month. We are considering posting “runners up” on a separate photo gallery linked from the front page, but haven’t decided about this. This contest will raise interest in our museum, involve the public more, and also easily give our webpage a fresh look on a regular basis.

Our IT people have told us to go ahead, that issues of viruses, file size/space, and turnaround time are not problems.

I know that many of you represent the professional photographer point of view, and are well versed in copyright etc. This contest is more intended for amateurs but we were not planning on excluding professionals (unless there are good reasons to do so). And yes, we are aware that photos of children must have their parent/guardian permission; if our winners portray children, we would contact the photographer on a case-by-case basis before posting their image.

It seems if a person has submitted a photo for a contest knowing that the winning shot will appear online, are they are implicitly giving us permission to use the photo in that way? Does this need to be spelled out in the rules?

Staff has raised the issue that if we receive stellar shots, the museum may like to keep digital copies for our use on our other webpages or in future publicity. Is it worth it to ask every person submitting a photo, to include an online legal form granting such permission (knowing that we probably would not want to keep the majority of images received anyway)? We don’t want to require that everybody entering the contest must give up image ownership—that’s not right and it’s not our intent. We just want to explore the possibility. How can we, efficiently, let photographers indicate whether they give us that permission or not? Should our rules mention the possibility of this, and what should they say? Or should we just contact photographers on a case-by-case basis after receiving photos?

-Anne Nagrant, Public Programs

Troy Museum & Historic Village

60 W Wattles Rd, Troy MI 48098

www.troymi.gov/museum