I just opened a new exhibit in which there are several pieces of furniture
on display as well as glass, ceramics, artwork, etc. All of the small,
fragile items are under vitrines but the furniture pieces are simply on
risers. When reviewing the exhibit with our docents, they expressed concern
that I did not have "do not touch" signs on the furniture.  I've used these
signs in the past but I am wondering about their effectiveness. I've
observed both at my museum and at others, that some people will touch
regardless of signage.  I've also noticed that most larger museums I've
visited do not have these signs at all.  Our museum experience is guided
tour only and the docents are trained to remind visitors not to touch items
on exhibit. The new exhibition can be self-guided but the vast majority of
the time there will be a docent in the room with the visitor.

I'd like to hear about other's experience with "do not touch" signs and
whether they work or just clutter up an exhibit and have little
effectiveness.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator

Museum of Frederick County History

Historical Society of Frederick County