Last season I experimented in our small historical museum with permitting
visitors to handle one item if they put on the white gloves.  They seemed
really respectful and honored to do so, no matter what their age. This
season I tried it in another area, and can tell the gloves are used because
they are placed in a different position each time I do a walk-through
(visitors are unsupervised unless we have a walk-around docent that day). I
change them out every few days, and will do so every day as our numbers
increase with summer. Visitors will stop at the desk and thank the volunteer
for the opportunity to handle the two items.  We also have a journal out for
visitors to leave stories in our oral history exhibit. In the same oral
history room, which has both lots of text to read and a scheduled real live
historic treasure to tell stories and respond to questions, I have a large
set of Lincoln Logs for young visitors (and old) to build their own log
cabin inside our historic log cabins.  The Lincoln Logs definitely take the
edge off the urge to touch.  This year I found much less touching of exhibit
items by creating wider "paths" through the log cabins that clearly mark the
boundaries between visitor and exhibit.  I do put cautionary labels that
include educational information on items placed close to the visitor path.

As we are currently open only in the summertime, I rarely get school visits.

Micki Ryan, Director

Orcas Island Historical Museum

PO Box 134

Eastsound WA 98245