From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of REYNOLDS, Trevor
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 3:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: What is treasure hunting? What is archaeology?

I would have to disagree with Mark.  Archaeology is the study of the material remains of people and their activities.  Archaeological excavation is one of the tools of archaeology (others include field walking, geophysical surveys, analysis of standing buildings etc.)

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar
English Heritage, 36 Hospital Fields Road, York, YO10 4DZ
Telephone +44 (0)1904 610322