I'd guess 3-5% on average.  However, I'm the person who writes, produces, prints, and (often) hangs them, so by the time they've gotten to the gallery, I've proofed them several times.   So that percentage is how many need re-printing after I've taken them out to the gallery.

The percentage is getting a lot lower now that I've streamlined the process by having reams of cardstock cut to two standard sizes (5.5" x 6", and 11" x 6").  I design/write labels to print onto one of those two sizes, so we don't have to kill ourselves trimming dozens of labels after printing.  I used to find myself re-printing a lot more labels when we had to trim them by hand.
Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108
Laurel, MS 39441-1108
www.LRMA.org

Erin Blake wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> "Failure rate" for descriptive labels during exhibition installation?

Like everyone (I think.... correct me if Im wrong) we always find a few typos or content problems with labels during exhibition installations. Our labels are printed out in-house, then dry-mounted, and stuck to the wall with putty, so its not as if we have to repaint the room when something goes wrong. But still, its a problem if lots of labels need to get re-printed.

How many descriptive labels per hundred (lets say) do you end up needing to re-print at the last minute?

Im trying to get a sense of what a reasonable expected failure rate might be.

Note that our exhibitions are all in house productions -- no professional designers, editors, etc., so we only have ourselves to blame.

Thanks,

   EB.

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Curator of Art & Special Collections  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE  |  Washington, DC 20003-1004  |  office tel. (202) 675-0323  |  fax:  (202) 675-0328  |  eblak[log in to unmask]  |  www.folger.edu