Its not so much a matter of being wrong as a matter of protection for you and your institution.  You need to stay out of the loop when it comes to appraisals so that any dispute on the deduction taken by the donor is between the donor and the IRS.  Even the appearance of wrong-doing on your part can have the IRS knocking at your door and that is something you don't want to happen.  The best way to avoid the problem is to establish a written policy that no appraisals will be given under any circumstances and make sure that your staff understands and adheres to the policy.

Jeff Tenuth
Indiana State Museum

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debra Loguda-Summers
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Question regarding appraisals and Museum

Hello,

I have a question regarding Museums and appraisals.

I know were are not to give appraisals on donations but, I am having trouble convincing some of the staff that we should not be paying for a donors appraisal and then letting the donor write the amount off on their taxes.  Am I wrong in thinking this???

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment because a staff member told the donor we would have the items appraised and let them know.  It isn't the first time it has happened and I need hard facts to back up my thoughts that this is wrong.  HELP

You can contact me off line  [log in to unmask]