Two years ago I helped a friend sell the estate of the wife of a long-ago doctor in our town. The home still had some of his pharmaceutical supplies in his office and I recognized one (can't remember it now) that I thought should be safely disposed of. I offered to take it to the fire house on the way home. When I walked in with it they backed away and said I had now presented a hazard to the fire house. *I* backed away from it then, too.

They called the HazMat team, to ask what to do with it and I supressed a laugh when the HazMat team said "Flush it down the toilet."

I think the safest thing is what the firemen told me when I initially walked in with the bottle and that was that I should have called them to go to the site to evaluate what we had. They could then safely dispose of it for us.
Lynne

  Please don't routinely flush all old medications. See information below.

  Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs.

  http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/factsht/proper_disposal.html