From: "Ambler, Bridget" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:13:30 AM
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Alternative technique for applying access. numbers to objects

Dear Ms. Durkee:
We use this labeling method and everyone in our department REALLY likes it!  Using a small font (say Arial narrow 10 pt or 8 pt), we are able to label small items, such as projectile points, so that the numbers are very legible.  I would recommend that you experiment with fonts and sizes to find one that you like best.  The method is reversible (we coat first with B-72, place the label, then put on a top coat), non-destructive (quill pens can actually scratch objects) and has held up well over time.  Typically, these labels are also much smaller than hand-written labels, so less of the object¢s surface is obliterated.  While there might be an initial investment in equipment to begin, I think you¢ll find that the time saved in labeling objects will far outweigh the cost in purchasing a laserjet printer and accouterment.

Best regards,

Bridget

Bridget M. Ambler

Curator of Material Culture