From: Meredith Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:13 am
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Distance Learning in Museum Studies

I have recently been researching schools who have Master's degrees in Museum Studies and Historic Preservation (nerd that I am, I even created an Excel spreadsheet?detailing all of my findings).? I too was interested in the distance learning option but have since changed my mind after speaking to a friend and out of personal preference.? I like the classroom setting, I feel I get more out of it than an online class because I can talk to students and professors in an informal setting in between classes or in scheduled meetings.??
?
My friend who is also considering this option and has chosen George Washington University, not because it has the best program, but because of the networking opportunities she will have access to.? A colleague told her that some organizations will hire almost completely on the college that candidates attended.? Since she told me that, I have run across it at one or two places so I think that the school you choose can make some difference, but, like anything,?it depends on the organization that's hiring.
?
I too would like to know what hiring managers think of online degrees and what preferences the museum community at large has for universities that offer a Master's degree.

Meredith Dunham
AmeriCorps*VISTA
?

Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew.
???? ~Saint Francis de Sales