Hello Museum-L'ers!
We wanted to let you know about a new site we've been working on called MuseumProfessionals.org!
This site was conceived by Museum Professionals for Museum Professionals!
Our goal is to provide you with a framework and tools to help you succeed in your current and future roles... and maybe have a little fun along the way!

If you'd like to check out the site right away, just point your browsers over to: http://www.museumprofessionals.org

*********
For those of you who want to know what you're getting yourselves into before you click, here's a rundown of what the site offers:

First, we started with a solid bulletin board foundation.  Then we added the componenents that we believe you'll find useful.

We have created discussion forums for all major museum disciplines so that if you have specific questions pertaining to your role, you will be able to capture the "right" audience. Of course we've created a general discussion area where you can offer your advice or ask questions to a broader audience.  In addition to these general and specific areas, we have created forums regarding certain topics like "Professional Development" and "Fellowships & Grants."  We are also open to any other forum area suggestions you might have.
(http://forum.museumprofessionals.org)

The great thing about this forum system is that you have the ability to subscribe to various threads/posts.  What does this mean?  This means that you can be alerted as soon as someone answers your question or responds to your post.  It also helps you to keep track of all of the discussions you are participating in.

Ron Popeil says, "But Wait! There's more! The MuseumProfessionals.org forum section is only the tip of the ice berg!"*

We have created an extensive job framework where you can submit available jobs and view them by museum category.
(http://jobs.museumprofessionals.org)

If you are searching for a new job, you can post your resume on the site as well!
(http://resumes.museumprofessionals.org)

We have a calendaring system where you may post events that help your peers grow and gain knowledge.
(http://calendar.museumprofessionals.org)

There is also a social news section which we hope you'll enjoy.  You are able to submit fun and interesting museum related news headlines and then comment on them.  If you are familiar with sites like reddit.com or digg.com, this is very similar.  The great thing about this section is that news stories are updated when YOU or your peers find them!  Of course, we'll be adding them on our end as well.  So check back throughout the day.
(http://news.museumprofessionals.org)

When you go to the site, you will also notice a link to "Articles." We are hoping to find a few brave members to write up articles that will be published for all to see!  This is a great resource if you are looking for some professional exposure.
(http://articles.museumprofessionals.org)

Last, but not least, we have a User Profile system.  Here you will be able to create a page where you can post Museum related photos, tell us a little bit about yourself, and even make a few new friends!  You can create groups to help you keep in touch with fellow alums or association members.  You have the ability to leave visitor messages and send private messages as well.  Please don't think of this section as a replacement to your mySpace or FaceBook profiles, but rather an additional concentrated museum community to help enhance your professional network.
(http://members.museumprofessionals.org)

You can see an example of a profile here: http://www.museumprofessionals.org/forum/member.php?u=3

Don't worry about having to remember all of these URLs!  You can get to all of them by simply going to http://www.museumprofessionals.org

The best part of all of the things we've mentioned: They're all FREE :)
(And it only takes two minutes to register!)

We're pretty sure that everyone on this list will find at least one or more of the sections on this site valuable, and if you don't, please let us know so we can do our best to find one for you :)

As we all know, new sites may experience growing pains here and there, so please tell us if you see any errors or have any trouble accessing the site. We are currently evaluating web server host options to make this the best possible experience for you!

Thank you for your support!
J.J. Antequino
MuseumProfessionals.org

*Ron Popeil didn't really say that.