Kevin,

I maintain files of each exhibition that contain an artifact notebook with images, complete edited, final, as-printed text, four copies of printed brochures and educational materials (and the occasional bookmark), and photographs of the completed installation, including exterior and interior banners, posters, flyers, etc. Where possible, I also retain copies of press releases, news clippings, published reviews, etc. We’ve not used an exhibition designer since 1997, but I would anticipate keeping, at the very least, the final floorplans and elevations in the exhibition files. Additionally, a printed brochure is catalogued into the collection as the “official” publication. Before 1997, the exhibitions were produced by an ad hoc committee and the files’ contents were incomplete.

After several years, I had boxes of old brochures, and I sent through a request to dispose of them, because they were printed and kept at state expense. We decided that, as long as there were file copies that eventually would enter their final repose in the archives (as records of the Library of Virginia), there was no need to keep thousands of brochures. I do keep between 50 and 100 of past exhibition brochures to be added to packets about the LVA.

I would suggest that you work with your university archivist to determine what records should be kept (archives appraisal), setting a policy, and then revisiting it every few years. My text and database files and those of the graphic designer are retained within the parameters of the LVA’s retention schedule for electronic records.

Barbara C. Batson
Exhibitions Coordinator
The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street