Kevin,

I maintain files of each exhibition that contain an artifact notebook
with images, complete edited, final, as-printed text, four copies of
printed brochures and educational materials (and the occasional
bookmark), and photographs of the completed installation, including
exterior and interior banners, posters, flyers, etc. Where possible, I
also retain copies of press releases, news clippings, published reviews,
etc. We've not used an exhibition designer since 1997, but I would
anticipate keeping, at the very least, the final floorplans and
elevations in the exhibition files. Additionally, a printed brochure is
catalogued into the collection as the "official" publication. Before
1997, the exhibitions were produced by an ad hoc committee and the
files' contents were incomplete.

After several years, I had boxes of old brochures, and I sent through a
request to dispose of them, because they were printed and kept at state
expense. We decided that, as long as there were file copies that
eventually would enter their final repose in the archives (as records of
the Library of Virginia), there was no need to keep thousands of
brochures. I do keep between 50 and 100 of past exhibition brochures to
be added to packets about the LVA.

I would suggest that you work with your university archivist to
determine what records should be kept (archives appraisal), setting a
policy, and then revisiting it every few years. My text and database
files and those of the graphic designer are retained within the
parameters of the LVA's retention schedule for electronic records.

Barbara C. Batson
Exhibitions Coordinator
The Library of Virginia
800 East Broad Street