I'll try and post this reply again - I tried to respond to the request for
ideas but it sounds like it did not go through...

To Katie, Morris and Candace --

The question is not "who gives grants to acquire new artifacts," but rather
"how do we build our collections based on our mission, programs, current
holding and goals."

Or to put it more simply--what do you hope to do in the future and why?

The only detail offered in the initial post is that you are a historic house
museum. Given that, what you may want to collect and exhibit may vary
greatly depending on your geographic location and time period of
emphases--unless you are using your site as a catalyst for change to promote
community discussions of contemporary issues-which may be both a
reinterpretation of the collections you possess and collections you may need
to acquire.

Based on my personal experience as a both a grant recipient with support
from NEH, state humanities councils and a variety of community and family
foundations, (and as a grant reviewer) you need to integrate collections
development and expansion as a component of a larger project to document and
exhibit "historical event "x" or " cultural event "y," or to preserve the
last remaining "z" as examples of some regionally or community based
significant event tied to where you museum is located. When I worked on the
coast of Maine for a maritime museum I could and did argue that it was
important to document, acquire, exhibit and preserve significant works of
art produced by the daughters of sea captains because of what those objects
(hand work to formal portraits) of material culture could tells as of both
the self-taught artists and their time. Or based on my time in Colorado I
would argue that it was important for a town historical society on the
Western Slope to collect modern ski industry related materials due to rapid
changes within that industry and the impact skiing has had on former ways of
life.

That said, my advise for you is to look at the opportunities you are
creating for yourself with your new building and ask yourself - "What
exhibits can I mount over the next 5 years that highlight the importance of
my site (in all its various ways) that would allow me to conduct new
originally historical and cultural research that would drive my exhibition
program and which would then help me to identify what I should add to my
collections?"

But "How do I do that?"

Again based on my experience, go talk to your state humanities council first
and get them:

   1. To identify scholars in a variety of disciplines in your state who
   may be interested in your site.
   2. See if the council will help introduce you to a few of these
   academics.
   3. Seek a small planing grant (Less than $1,000--that make it easier
   to get) from the Council to convene a planning meeting with your scholars to
   coalesce them into a new advisory committee and to get their help in brain
   storming what research and exhibits might be possible (or even redirect
   their own research interests).
   4. Get further "buy in" from the state humanities or arts councils by
   seeking an exhibit planning grant to move the conversation with you new
   scholar advisers further and to get your first exhibit up.

With this base established- other donors, foundations and even NEH or NEA
would be interested in funding exhibits and the need to acquire new objects
for the collections.

Using this method, I generated over $500,000 dollars for collections and
exhibition in one span of  6 or 7 years, mounting 3 to 4 new shows/ year. I
also started from a worse place than you. I had a new institutional self
study funded by NEH  (when they use to do those things)  that said to our
museum, "change or die."  I have shared this method with colleagues at
conferences of Maine Archives and Museum, New Brunswick Museum Association,
the New England Museum Associations and at an AAM conference.

A object - either artistic, cultural or historical - does not exist in a
vacuum. It is part of a larger whole that is the flow of history and culture
change. By building your story, seeking new interpretations and
presentations of both contemporary and historical issues confronted by your
historic house museum and community, you will attract the objects you seek
and be able to incorporate their acquisition into your collections as one
component of a larger integrated program plan.

I would be happy to help keep this tread going if the list is interested in
a longer discussion. And Katie, if you or anyone else on the list has a
question, email me on the list, at my email below or give me a call, I'll be
happy to share my experience.

Sam Shogren MPA
Shogren Consulting
Former ED Aspen Historical Society & Working Waterfront Museum
Former Curator, Penobscot Marine Museum, Maine
Former Member, Advisory Committee, Northeast Documents Conservation Center
Founding Member, National Conference of State Museum Associations
Founding President, Maine Archives and Museums
-------
Sam Shogren
Shogren Consulting
503-504-0770 (mobile)