Katie--

The question is not "who gives grants to acquire new artifacts," but rather
"who do we build out collections based on our mission, programs, current
holding and goals." Or to put it more simply--what do you hope to do in the
future and why?

The only detail you offer is that you are a historic house museum. Given
that, what you may want to collect and exhibit may vary greatly depending on
your geographic location and time period of emphases--unless you are using
your site as a catalyst for change to promote community discussions of
contemporary issues.

Based on my personal experience as a both a grant recipient of and reviewer
for NEH, with state humanities councils and a variety of community and
family foundations, you need to integrate collections development and
expansion as a component of a larger project to document and exhibit "x" or
"y," or to preserve the last remaining "z" as an example of some regionally
or community based significant event tied to where you museum is located.
When I worked on the coast of Maine for a maritime museum I could and did
argue that it was important to document, acquire, exhibit and preserve
significant works of art produced by the daughters of sea captains because
of what those objects (hand work to formal portraitures) of material culture
could tells as of both the self-taught artists and their time. Or in
Colorado I would argue that it was important for a town historical society
on the Western Slope to collect modern ski industry related materials due to
rapid changes within that "field" and the impact skiing has had on former
ways of life.

That said, my advise for you is to look at the opportunity you are creating
for yourself with your new building and ask yourself - "What exhibits can I
mount over the next 5 years that highlight the importance of my site (in all
its various ways) that would allow me to conduct new originally historical
and cultural research that would drive my exhibition program and which would
then help me to identify what I should add to my collections?"

But "How do I do that?"  - Again based on my experience, go talk to your
state humanities council and get them:
1. To identify scholars in a variety of disciplines in your state who may be
interested in your site.
2. See if the council will help introduce you to a few of these academics.
3. Seek a small planing grant (Less than $1,000--that make it easier to get)
from the Council to convene a planning meeting with your scholars to
coalesce them into a new advisory committee and to get their help in brain
storming what research and exhibits might be possible (or even redirect
their own research interests).
4. Get further "buy in" from the state humanities or arts councils by
seeking an exhibit planning grant to move the conversation with you new
scholar advisers further and to get your first exhibit up.

With this base established- other donors, foundations and even NEH or NEA
would be interested in funding exhibits and the need to acquire new objects
for the collections.

Using this method, I generated over $500,000 dollars for collections and
exhibition in 6 or 7 years and mounted a 3 to 4 new shows/ year. I started
from a worse place than you with an institutional self study that said to
our museum, "change or die."  I have shared this method with colleagues in
at Maine Archives and Museum, the New England Museum Associations and at an
AAM conference.

If you or anyone else on the list has a question, give me a call, I'll be
happy to share my expereince.

Sam

-------
Sam Shogren