I have a more generous perspective, being less than perfect myself, and I
would advocate being more charitable to one another.

First, I think a lot has to do with individuals.  Some people have a sense
of collegiality and like to help others, some put their own agendas ahead of
helping anyone else.  Some, in fact, do nothing for others unless they
expect something in return.  I suspect that the majority of people who
subscribe to this list-serve are among the collegial, but we all know others
out there who are not.

Second, I have always worked at museums that were understaffed and trying to
do more than was quite realistic.  Sometimes when a request like that comes
in the timing is good and I can help right away, other times more urgent
things may be biting at my heels.  Recently I've begun developing a cadre of
volunteers who are able to respond to inquiries faster than I can.  But,
certainly in a museum with staff, it seems that should be much easier.

All that said, however, in the case John described, after requesting a
formal letter the person certainly should have replied promptly, if only
with a friendly email letting him know that the request was being worked on,
and if the pistol hasn't been found, at least you can say 'we're looking'.
Frustrated?  Of course.    Response?  Take the high road.

Lucy Sperlin

Butte County Historical Society

Oroville, CA

  _____