From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Erin Storc
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 11:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] pay for board members?

I am the curator at a medium-sized county historical society in the Midwest.  At our recent monthly board meeting (regularly scheduled for early afternoon), a newly elected board director began a discussion about board members receiving compensation for attending monthly meetings, and potentially committee meetings as well.

We are a 501c3 with a budget of under $250,000, most of which is an allotment from the county.  We have three full-time and two part-time employees.  Our organization has never paid board members in the past and while its articles of incorporation allude to this fact the legal language of "empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered" seems like it could be translated differently by the parties involved.

Questions for similar institutions:

1.  What is your organization's annual budget? And where does the money come from?

2.  How many members sit on the board?  What qualifications must they meet to be elected?

3.  What time does the board meet?

4.  Are staff requested/required to attend?  If after hours, are the staff compensated?

5.  Do members of the board get compensation for meetings? If so, how much?

Thanks for all those who can offer some info!

Erin

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: