From: Kara Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 8:52 am
Subject: New York Archivist

?? I?am sure some of you have heard about the New York State Library archivist Daniel Lorello.? For those of you who have not, he is accused of stealing more than 300-400 items from the library within a five year period, maybe even longer.? He states that he did this to pay for household bills, family credit card bills, home renovations and such.? If you go to the Yahoo website, you will see that this is the feature story today.?

?? This incident raises issues of ethics and public trust in our institutions.? This is even more true for professionals who have regular unsupervised access to the collections.? My question is how do institutions, that go through an event such as this, change their policies regarding collections access?and?regain their dignity and?the public trust?

?

?

Kara Lewis

Collections Intern