I'm not personally familiar with the terms, but assuming you are right and it refers to weave density, you can test with a light meter.  Measure a light source, note the reading, then place the fabric over the light source and measure again.  The second reading should be 1% of the first.  Distance from the light source to the light meter must be exactly the same for both readings, as light intensity varies with the square of the distance, so a small variation can make a big difference.  I suggest the sun (clear, no clouds or haze) since a variation of a few inches or feet is insignificant compared to the millions of miles to the light source!  Using such a fabric for light control will mean that the intensity has been dropped 99% (1% transmission), but the transmitted light will still have all of its UV present.  However, I doubt that you will actually use a fabric with a 1% transmission, as the room will be very dark.  I have trouble convincing clients to go even as low as 10% transmission for this reason.  You may be better served with UV and visible light filtering Mylar, but I'm sure you have already considered this.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Environmental Monitoring & Low-Tech Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Collections Care Grant Preparation
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)