Cindy,

We had a very successful day camp program when I was at Pamplin Historical Park & The National Museum of the Civil War Soldier in Petersburg, Virginia.  Our leadership team was very conscious about the possibility of being sued and was, therefore, very careful about visitor safety.  I don't believe we had an additional insurance rider for our day camp program or our overnight camp programs (although I know our insurance company was aware we did these programs).  Perhaps we were opening ourselves up to a lawsuit, but we had faith in our policy that when we were acting in loco parentis, a staff member must be accompanied by another staff member when in the presence of a child.  The day camp had about 20-30 campers per session and we dedicated four staff members to the program.  I'm also sure that we had parents sign a hold-harmless agreement as part of their registration.  Although I've been told that those really aren't worth the paper they are written on if you go to court.  We always worked on the assumption that if we could prove that we were not negligent, we would be able to prove our case in court.  Maybe we were naïve.  Fortunately, we did the program for at least 8 years and didn't have any problems.

Best of luck,

Andrew H. Talkov

Exhibit Coordinator for Virginia's Civil War

Virginia Historical Society

428 N. Boulevard

P.O. Box 7311

Richmond, Virginia 23221-0311