Barbara,

Almost all commercial cooper cleaners are abrasive - and what you use depends on the specifics of the object - is there an historic patina to consider and preserve? Is it brightly polished or a cast surface? Does it have active corrosion or is stable? Also you have to be very mindful that polish accretions that are not removed will become areas of discoloration and corrosion in the future. I just completed treatments on several 18th and 19th century objects that were packed with the evidence of old polishing campaigns.

There are several excellent objects conservators there is Richmond who you can talk to (I lived in Williamsburg for more than 20 years). If you are familiar with my old good friends Scotty Nolley or Sandy Jensen I would recommend that you talk to them or any of the other objects conservators there.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator