Hello Everyone:

We are currently thinking about creating a new modular flooring system for use in exhibits, so is there anyone on the list who would be willing to share your successes and/or failures in creating modular flooring for exhibition purposes? (I’m talking about flooring that is raised higher than the floor in the exhibit hall, used to elevate and set off artifacts &/or interpretive areas in exhibits, and can be fairly easily moved or reconfigured.)

We currently have platforms that are approximately 3’ x 5’ and are made with varnished pine flooring over a frame of 2” x 6” sides & beams. The pieces are extremely heavy and difficult to work with, and I would like to design or purchase something lighter and easier to store. I’ve thought of building the same type of frame with MDF and using a flat piece of something (I haven’t figured that part out yet) covered with something like Pergo flooring, or even a laminate sheeting that looks like hardwood flooring. However, whatever I make has to be strong enough to support furniture and other large artifacts, such as our ca. 1920 cast iron stove.

Has anyone tried creating something similar? If so, I would really like to hear about what you came up with, and whether or not you are happy with it!

Thanks!

Amanda Dyer

Amanda Thompson Dyer

Curator