Not necessarily...

We are a City Museum that is connected with the Public Library -- I
don't mean we are located in the same place, but that the Museum Manager
reports to the Library Director. The Library has a blanket movie
license, but this applies only to films shown in the library building-I
tried.

I know this because last Halloween during a free event we showed "Abbott
and Costello Meets Frankenstein" in one of our buildings (it was shown
more like "wallpaper", meaning people came in and out throughout, no
tickets).

Every film title is licensed by a different company. This one, covered
by Swank, cost $250 plus $21 in shipping (they send you their own copy,
DVD or VHS, of it. You may watch it once to assure there are no defects,
and then once during your event. Then you must UPS it back to them.) The
movie "Mad Monster Party" is licensed by Criterion, for $225 but after
explaining the circumstances of our event he offered it for $150.

We didn't sell tickets for our event and we didn't pre-advertise the
movie title. I think this might have mattered, but maybe not. In some
cases of ticket-selling the agreement would have been something like
"you must pay X unless your ticket sales are Y in which case..."

Most of the public wouldn't believe we had to pay so much to show a
movie one time, but that is the case.

Maybe somebody would be willing to sponsor you.

-Anne Nagrant

Troy Museum & Historic Village (Michigan)