Pam--Yes, 6 months--isn't that wonderful?! This was a kind, and smart ,thing to do by the company. It helped the mother and the family, and it ensured that when she returned to work she was happy, healthy, not distracted, and grateful. Treatment like this builds loyalty. As a software audit engineer, concentration is critical to her productivity and the company did what they could to ensure maximum productivity.

You are correct that I gave only the most basic reasons for needing the time off, but I was trying to softly indicate to some of our intellectualizers that there is a real difference between real physical and psychological need and more optional desires. My son-in-law would have loved to be with his twins for a few months, but the daughter had to be there for her health and the children's. And these kind of differences should not be forgotten as we discuss things. And trust me, she wouldn't have given a tinker's damn if it were called maternity or family leave. She appreciated the time with the babies. Peace, Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Jan 14, 2008 6:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Maternity Leave Policy Question

6 months??? That is so nice to hear! And how it should be, at minimum! Any employer who is able to exceed the minimum of anything required by law...well that's great!

You know Nick, us moms could certainly add to your list of things new moms need this time for..of course you mention the most important!

Pam