Hello all,

  I've read with interest the variety of copyright issues over the last couple of months.  I'm now embroiled in (or maybe that's just my mood after dealing with this issue) in a movie licensing problem.  We want to show a couple of movies as activities for our participation in "The Big Read" program.  I learned, partly from this list, that we had to have a license to show the movies.  So I did some Internet research and made several calls (we can't help you, call.....).  It turns out that we have to pay $150 each for the movies we show and that's the non-profit discount.

  Schools and libraries can buy an annual blanket license.  However museums, even though they are educational facilities, are not eligible for a blanket license.  Unintentional non-compliance can bring a $750 fine.  Intentional is way more.  Before I write to the Copyright Office and my Congresspeople, has anyone else had a different experience?  I want the actors, writers, etc. to make a living.  However, this seems a bit steep to me.

  Otherwise, we're having a great time with our NEA "The Big Read" grant.  We've partnered with the Public Library and the local schools for 6 weeks of activities to promote reading among children and adults.

  Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
Director
Sheldon Museum