The US does have paid maternity leave.  It is under the requirements of the family medical leave bill but applies only to employers of a certain size.

Congratulations on your baby!!I say you take advantage and set a president to do what the rest of the world does*paid maternity leave! Did you know that the US is one of like 6 countries that does NOT have some form of paid maternity leave! 6! *the other 6 are all 3rd world countries if I remember correctly. Sadness!  Cecilia D.Slesnick Education ManagerHistorical Museum of Southern Florida101 West Flagler St  Miami, FL 33130305.375.1492    www.hmsf.org Your Story, Your Community...Your Museum

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Debra Loguda-Summers
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Maternity Leave Policy Question
 First Congrats on the baby.

Just another thought, what about husbands of pregnant wives, are they going to get the same benefits as a women working at the museum if they want to be or need to be home after the birth? What about adoptions of either babies or young children will that be treated the same as a newborn?

Several time we have had women leave with plans to return and then things change.  They either want to work from home or of course decided not to return at all.  Keep these things in mind also.

Deb

Debra Loguda-Summers, Curator
Still National Osteopathic Museum and National Center for Osteopathic History
800 West Jefferson
Kirksville, MO 63501
Phone: 660 626 2359
Fax: 660 626 2984
Toll Free: 1 866 626 ATSU Ext. 2359
www.atsu.edu/museum

The Mission of the Still National Osteopathic Museum is to collect, preserve, and make available artifacts and related materials to communicate the history and philosophy about the osteopathic principles of mind, body and spirit to a global audience.

>>> Alicia Herman <[log in to unmask]> 1/10/2008 12:03 PM >>>

I encourage you to think about maternal profiling and discrimination when drafting a policy.  Options you and other employees may feel blessed to have included in your policy could be flex time, being able to work part-time at home, and other benifits that support being a working mother.  The information below highlights some of the key issues and research with includes an outstounding finding that mothers are 79% less likely to be hired than non-mothers with equal resumes and job experiences (see below).  Congratulations on your pregnancy and being a pioneer working mother director for your institution.
***********
NEW YEAR'S POP QUIZ: What's Maternal Profiling?

a.    The practice of selling stiff undergarments that promise a return to one's pre-pregnancy profile.
b.    How the Oprah Show executives determine their prime demographic.
c.    Employment discrimination against a woman who has, or will have, children.
d.    Routine stop and searches of swerving minivans to check if violence is being perpetrated via flying food between minors.

ANSWER: C
Maternal Profiling was recently reported on as one of the new buzzwords of 2007 in the New York Times (and members of MomsRising were credited with introducing this term into our national consciousness!).  They defined it as:

"Employment discrimination against a woman who has, or will have, children.  The term has been popularized by members of MomsRising, an advocacy group promoting the rights of mothers in the workplace."

This new phrase is powerful because it brings forward a shared experience--helping to frame national understanding of the causes of and solutions to discrimination against mothers.  Sexual harassment is a phrase which helped spark major legislative and cultural changes.  Widespread use of the phrase "Maternal Profiling" can similarly help spark major changes..

And major changes are needed. One recent study found that mothers are 79% less likely to be hired than non-mothers with equal resumes and job experiences. Mothers also face discrimination in their paychecks: Women without children make 90 cents to a man's dollar,  but mothers make only 73 cents to a man's dollar, and single mothers make about 60 cents to a man's dollar.  Working together, we can stamp out Maternal Profiling and make our nation more truly family-friendly.

If you're a mother in America, then Maternal Profiling has likely happened to you.  Maternal Profiling is a significant and shared problem which negatively impacts vast numbers of women in our nation, particularly since a full 82% of American women become mothers by the time they are forty-four years old.  And, the workplace impacts of Maternal Profiling are jaw dropping, especially given that three-quarters of American mothersare now in the labor force.
Mothers also face steep wage hits and unequal wages for equal work. One study found that, with the exact same resume and qualifications, mothers are offered an average of $11,000 LESS than non-mothers for the same upper-level positions. Another
study found that women without children make 90 cents to a man's dollar, but mothers make only 73 cents to a man's dollar, and single mothers make about 60 cents to a man's dollar.

Fortunately, we know how to narrow these wage gaps and how to stop Maternal Profiling. Countries with family-friendly policies in place--such as paid familyleave after the birth of a child and subsidized childcare--don't have the same degree of maternal wage hits as we do here.  That's one of the reasons why MomsRising is fighting for family-friendly policies, as well as for laws that protect mothers and other caregivers from discrimination in the workplace.  Cultural change is another way to help stop Maternal Profiling: The more people who become aware of what are often subconscious discriminatory actions, the less often those discriminatory actions will happen.  So it's important that as many people as possible learn about the widespread practice of Maternal Profiling.Read the recent New York Times article which includes Maternal Profiling and MomsRising here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/weekinreview/23buzzwords.html