The Phillips Book Prize

The Phillips Collection Center for the Study of Modern Art offers an annual prize for an unpublished manuscript presenting new research in modern or contemporary art from 1880 to the present.  Preference will be given to applicants whose research focuses on subjects related to The Phillips Collection’s areas of collecting. The winning author will receive $5,000, and his/her manuscript will be published by the University of California Press as part of a series of first books sponsored by The Phillips Collection’s Center for the Study of Modern Art.  Scholars who received their PhDs within the past five years are strongly encouraged to apply.

Deadline for receipt of applications is January 15, 2008.

To apply, send: a cover letter; CV; abstract of the proposed book (one page maximum); and a book proposal (8–10 pages).  The book proposal should include:  a project overview; chapter outlines; a plan for the revision of the manuscript; a description of the book’s position in the literature of modern or contemporary art.  Application packages, plus three letters of recommendation to be sent under separate cover, should be sent to:

Center for the Study of Modern Art

The Phillips Collection

1600 21st Street, NW

Washington, D.C. 20009

202-387-2151 ext. 286

Katherine Stilwill | Program Coordinator

Center for the Study of Modern Art

email::   [log in to unmask]

tel::            202.387.2151 x 286

fax::                202.265.4655

web::           www.phillipscollection.org

T H E   P H I L L I P S   C O L L E C T I O N
1600 21st St NW