From a knowledgeable colleague...

On Jan 9, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Marc Fields wrote:

Rich,

Case was an interesting...  figure (I spared you the pun), especially the questions surrounding his ethnicity and his death.

If she hasn't already checked, Melanie should contact the Billy Rose Theater collection (NYPL at Lincoln Center), and the Museum of the City of New York.  Also, check for photos with Case's obits (1916) in the NY Clipper and NY Times, Billboard, etc.  The best private source I know of is Frank Cullen, who wrote the incredible encyclopedic "Vaudeville: Old and New;" I don't know his email but his website is www.vaudeville.org, and I'm told he now lives in New Mexico.

There's an excellent bio of Case in Tim Brooks' "Lost Sounds: Blacks and the Birth of the Recording Industry" -- in the book that is the companion to the CD set.

Hope this helps --

Marc

On Jan 7, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Rich Remsberg wrote:

 Thought you might know of something...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Melanie LaBorwit <[log in to unmask]>
Date: January 7, 2008 11:32:31 AM EST
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] looking for photograph of early comedian Charlie Case

A friend of mine is doing some research on early comedy, and said he was
looking for an image of Charlie Case.   Is there a museum about comedy or
vaudeville or early American theatre that might have such an image in their
collection?   Please reply to me off -list.   Thanks!

Melanie

Rich Remsberg Image Research
243 Union Street, #105
North Adams, MA 01247