My now former employers did three different things all held under the umbrella of "Haunted Fortress". It's only?done one weekend a year, so its fairly exclusive and pretty popular.?It's also a?major fundraiser and keeps them going through the winter.
?
The major thing we did was a haunted house type of event with 'ghosts' in 'historical' clothing (If you didn't turn the lights on, you'd never notice that it was slapped together and mostly people with leggings over jeans). Various scenerios were used, generally with a theme, and groups of around 25 were led through by guides. Also, make sure if you do something like this, you have people who can watch both the ghosts and the visitors. Someone may get a little tipsy before hand and get roudy, though this past year it was mostly people being led out due to being scared and freezing up.

The other two things were tours of the historic cemetery, though no characters in there. There is also a bonfire and someone is stationed there to tell ghost stories and weird historical tales relating to the site, though others are encouraged to share stories they know.

The whole event is very family friendly, though it is suggested that no one under 12 go on the haunted house tour. This doesn't keep people from bringing children, but they are warned that it might be too much for them. Last year I had a group of 16 year old girls break and run out of the fort after the last haunt we went through, so age is no guarantee.

Also, we made sure that the tours ended in the gift shop, and that warm cider and other treats were available for purchase. Can't forget the extras!

Rory Bialecki
Former Interpretive Programming Assistant
Old Fort Niagara
Desperate for a job!

More new features than ever.  Check out the new AIM(R) Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com