One of my colleagues is a consultant who works a great deal with helping nonprofits assess and implement technology tools.  When posed with this question he offered the following response:

TechSoup has lots of articles on this topic in their Learning center:
http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/funding/index.cfm
In particular, check out "Selecting an Online Donation Tool" Parts 1 & 2,
and "Online Donations: Sorting Out the Chaos." I also recommend Affinity
Resources' chart of online donation vendors:
http://www.affinityresources.com/pgs/awz55Online2.shtml

The Affinity Resources site has links to the vendors. Some of the options,
like JustGive, Network for Good, and Paypal's basic service, have no monthly
or startup fees, though they tend to be bare-bones services. Google
Checkout is completely free for now but will start charging at some point
(their web site says 2009, but one site using them told me it would be early
2008). Note that the Affinity Resources site links to info about the
commercial version of Google Checkout. The nonprofit version is at
http://checkout.google.com/seller/npo/?gsessionid=i-TT1h5-KoM

I have a checklist of questions to consider when choosing an online donation
vendor here:
http://www.rlweiner.com/clf/online_donations_checklist.pdf
and links to articles about online fundraising here:
http://rlweiner.com/resources.html#fundraising

Robert
__________________________

Robert L. Weiner Consulting
Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Institutions
San Francisco, CA

With best regards,

Amy

Amy J. Phillips