  From: Linda Pansing
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:26 AM
  Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Fingerprinting powder/dust

  Hi,

  In a recent departmental meeting the following question was posed.  In the event of a theft would the application of fingerprint powder on artifacts damage the artifact?  From what we can find online the powder ingredients vary from brand to brand so knowing what exactly is in the powder might be difficult to ascertain, but mostly they consist of finely powdered non-reactive substances with light adhesive properties.  Since I'm not a chemist I can't tell for sure but fingerprint dust appears like it wouldn't adversely affect smooth hard surfaces, though I wouldn't want it applied to textiles or papers.  A secondary process of "developing" fingerprints that commonly uses vaporized adhesives, radioactive gases, laser luminescence, and the application of various chemicals that react with deposits left by fingers would most certainly be unadvised with historic artifacts.

  Has anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on the subject?

  Thanks for any help you can give,

  Linda

  Linda Pansing
  Assistant Curator of Archaeology
  Collections, Historic Preservation & Statewide Outreach
  The Ohio Historical Society
  1982 Velma Ave.
  Columbus, OH 43211
  (614) 298-2061