We are exploring this also. Recently we've arranged a tour of the facility, both museum & behind the scenes, for all new board members. Our staff is involved to speak with them an answer questions. We also provide an orientation packet with the minutes from previous meetings, a list of staff and board with contact information, the bylaws, financial records, mission and collection statement, a code of ethics statement (which they have to sign) and a list of programing. We hope they will bring this packet with them to all meetings and add to it as they go.
We've also hosted one board retreat with a facilitator at least two months or sooner from when the new board members are elected. We discuss short and long term goals, strategic plan, etc. This has had varied success but serves to lay out a path and excited the new and old members.
Best of luck!
Teresa Sherwood
Curator, Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site

>>> Diane Hutsell <[log in to unmask]> 12/14/2007 9:04 AM >>>
Hi all!

We are getting ready to "train" our three new board members to our museum. Since I have come on as director, several already existing board members have said that they wished they had more information before they began work. One even suggested a board mentor type program. My question is this....what do the rest of you all do to induct your new board members as to the nuts and bolts of your organization beyond giving them a copy of your bylaws. How do you get them to understand the down and dirty of your operation in a quick and timely manner? What worked and what hasn't?

Diane

Diane Hutsell
Executive Director
McMinn County Living Heritage Museum